This is always a favourite in our house and is great to send as a treat in lunchboxes.
300g butter (I use Stork)
325g caster sugar
300g self raising flour
1 heaped tbsp lemon curd
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp poppy seeds
30ml lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the lemon curd.
3. Add the eggs, flour, lemon juice and zest and mix well. I usually use the food mixer.
4. Stir in the poppy seeds and pour into the tin.
5. Bake for about an hour until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Combine the lemon syrup ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and allow to boil gently for a few minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup has thickened a little.
7. Prick the cake all over with a skewer and spoon over the lemon syrup. This helps the syrup to seep into the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.
The cake will keep well in a tin for a couple of days.