A while back I wrote about the squares that each of the children in Grace’s school were sewing as part of their royal wedding celebrations. They all worked really hard and produced some really beautifully sewn squares. As I I came home with a box full of them a few weeks back, I was slightly daunted by the prospect that I now had to do something with them! After discussing the options with Grace’s headteacher, we decided that I would make 2 quilts – one for the school to keep and one to be sent off to the royal couple.

finished school quilt

After about 50 hours work of tidying up the squares, sewing scarecrow heads on, sewing the squares together, adding borders, wadding and backing the first quilt is finally finished! I only have a regular domestic sewing machine and limited skills so I decided not to try and machine quilt it, instead I added a button every so often to keep the layers together. As the quilt is purely decorative and isn’t going to be used on a bed or anything I thought this would probably be adequate.

Having invested so much time and effort into this quilt, I became quite attached to it and was a little sad to see it go! I’m sentimental like that. A very kind parent from school has offered to sew the squares together for the second quilt, which is very welcome. Once she’s done that, I will be back to sewing one more borders, adding wadding and backing it. Watch this space…