Having two daughters it is inevitable that sometimes I have to partake in some very girly activities. My two were definitely born with the ‘pink gene’ and whilst I try to steer clear of too much pink, sometimes you just have to give in! So we bought Faith a very pink baking set for Christmas with a rolling pin, spoon, mixing bowl and 3 cutters – a star, princess dress and crown. She loves helping out in the kitchen and couldn’t wait to make some of her own biscuits using the set.
I used a very simple recipe:
150g butter, softened
75g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar until it is well combined and pale.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour and mix well until it forms a stiff dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to about 180°C and line a baking tray.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, cut out your shapes and place them on the baking tray.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the biscuits are slightly golden. Leave to cool for 2 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
We used royal icing and a whole host of sprinkles, mini chocolate beans and silver and pink balls.