This is one of our favourite, quick and easy cake recipes. It is ideal as a lunch box treat and is great for taking on picnics in this lovely, sunny weather. In fact, I might bake some tomorrow morning and take Faith out for a little picnic lunch!
Ingredients (makes 12 squares)
200g unsalted butter/Stork (I always use Stork for this cake)
175g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g self raising flour
2 tbsps jam (I use strawberry)
4-5 tbsp desiccated coconut
What to do
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a 23cm square cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until they are pale.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a tbsp of the flour with each egg.
4. Fold in the rest of the flour and mix until it is well combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spread it out and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the cake is golden and springs back when pressed gently.
6. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Spread the top of the cooled cake with jam, then cover with the desiccated coconut, pressing it down to make sure it sticks. If you prefer, you can cut the cake into squares before covering with the coconut, then you can dip the tops of the jam-covered cake into the coconut instead.
8. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Oh, and there’s one very important step to remember – make sure you have a small helper (ideally dressed in a rabbit costume) ready to help clear up…