What do you do when you are all feeling a little over-tired and down in the dumps? Why, you bake a super rich and indulgent baked chocolate custard of course!
I’m not kidding when I say this is rich – I am a serious chocoholic but I couldn’t manage a whole pot of this (although Faith demolished it without coming up for air!). My recipe made 4 servings but if you have smaller pots then you may want to stretch it to make 6 instead. To be honest, I know exactly why it is so rich and that is because I meant to add some milk as well as the cream but I forgot. Oh well, still tasted good!
You will need:
300ml single cream
150g good quality dark chocolate
75g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
icing sugar to dust
strawberries to serve
You will need to:
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C.
2. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it is just about to reach boiling point.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
4. Pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until it is smooth and well combined.
5. Whisk in the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract.
6. Pour the mixture into 4 (or 6 if you prefer) oven-proof ramekin dishes.
7. Sit the ramekin dishes in a baking tray and fill it with water until it reaches half way up the edge of the small dishes.
8. Cover with foil and make 2 or 3 slits in the foil with a small knife to allow the steam to escape.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the centres are just firm – a little wobble is ok!
10. Remove the tray from the oven, take the ramekin dishes out of the water and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
When you are ready to serve, dust with icing sugar and decorate with a sliced strawberry.